Each year the flu accounts for an average of 226,000 hospitalizations and approximately 36,000 deaths. Flu vaccination is the most effective way to protect yourself from getting the flu.
WellStar Health System offers flu vaccinations at our six Urgent Care Centers and in our physician offices. Appointments are not needed. Vaccinations are $20 unless covered under your insurance plan.
In addition to the flu vaccination, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention also recommends these everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of flu germs.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with individuals who may have the flu.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
Click here to find a WellStar Urgent Care Center or a WellStar physician near you!