Wellstar North Fulton Medical Center to Open Comprehensive Cancer Center
Medical Center Breaks Ground on CyberKnife Construction
Wellstar Health System, one of Georgia’s largest and most integrated healthcare systems, announced yesterday it will open the Wellstar North Fulton Cancer Center in early 2023 on the Wellstar North Fulton Medical Center campus in Roswell, Georgia. The Center will also serve as one of only two locations in metro Atlanta featuring state-of-the-art CyberKnife® technology for radiation therapy.
Located at 4500 Hospital Blvd., the Cancer Center will offer comprehensive cancer services, including nationally-recognized, expert and experienced physicians; medical oncology; radiation oncology; imaging and many medical specialties all in one convenient location. Oncology surgery will continue to be performed at Wellstar North Fulton Hospital, on the same campus.
“Wellstar North Fulton has been delivering expert, compassionate cancer care and support to North Metro Atlanta residents for many years,” said Jon-Paul Croom, president of Wellstar North Fulton Medical Center. “Our expansion of cancer services enables patients to receive the most advanced and robust offering of treatments available to beat cancer – close to home.”
The organization broke ground yesterday on the $12 million expansion project to accommodate cancer services and house Wellstar’s second CyberKnife system, a non-invasive treatment for cancerous and non-cancerous tumors and other conditions where radiation therapy is needed. Wellstar began using the CyberKnife System at Wellstar Kennestone Hospital in 2006 to treat conditions throughout the body and can be an alternative to surgery or for patients who have inoperable or surgically complex tumors. CyberKnife can reduce radiotherapy timelines from the traditional eight weeks to as little as one to five days.
“We are committed to providing the best treatment options for our patients and are proud to bring the CyberKnife system to this community,” said Dr. Mark McLaughlin, radiation oncology medical director for Wellstar North Fulton Medical Center. “With this state-of-the-art CyberKnife technology, we can deliver high precision radiation in fewer radiotherapy sessions with the goal of making treatment easier and improving outcomes for patients.”
During the next year, Wellstar North Fulton Medical Center will further enhance cancer services by:
- Increasing the number of physicians providing medical oncology care.
- Increasing the physical space in the 4500 Medical Plaza where medical oncologists see patients.
- Implementing a Head and Neck STAT Clinic in July 2022 that gathers all cancer specialists to meet with the patient on the same day, in the same place, to tailor a treatment plan. The Head and Neck STAT Clinic follows the successful implementation of Wellstar North Fulton’s current Breast and Lung STAT Clinics.
Multi-disciplinary physician experts at Wellstar North Fulton Cancer Center include:
- Dr. Faisal Bhutta, Pulmonologist
- Dr. Arthur Grigorian, Neurosurgeon
- Dr. Greg Coffman, General Surgeon
- Dr. Sachin Lavania, Pulmonologist
- Dr. Nagender Mankan, Medical Oncologist
- Dr. Mark McLaughlin, Radiation Oncologist
- Dr. Satyen Mehta, Medical Oncologist
- Dr. Scott Miller, Surgical Urologist
- Dr. Laura Pearson, Breast Surgeon
- Dr. Theolyn Price, Thoracic Surgeon
- Dr. Evelyn Reynolds, Gynecological Oncologist
- Dr. Fiyin Sokoya, Otolaryngologist