By Wellstar Urologist Dr. Beau Dusseault
When seeking medical advice, many people turn to the internet. This wealth of information can be very helpful in uncovering the cause of common symptoms and providing general health tips. In fact, patients play an essential role on their healthcare team. However, many people fall into the online vortex of diets and vitamins while leaving the low-hanging fruit on the vine.
Here are six quick tips to reduce your risk of cancer:
- Prioritize sleep. Sleep deprivation can have a devastating effect on the immune system. A good night’s sleep will boost the body’s best defense against cancer.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking is not only the cause of innumerable cancers, but it also blunts immune system function.
- Exercise. Physical activity is associated with a lower risk of many cancers, including prostate cancer. Simply walking has a significant impact, but variety is even better.
- Eat a balanced diet. No supplement can replace a sensible diet.
- Control blood sugar levels. Diabetes and insulin resistance are linked to higher risks of cancer.
- Reduce stress. Take time to relieve the cumulative stressors of daily life by focusing on time management, task delegation and relationship building.
Whatever is good for the immune system is bad for cancer. Lifestyle choices are the foundation for any cancer prevention program. And the internet would agree—just in case you want a second opinion.
Wellstar offers screenings and care for several types of cancer, and our urologists are experts in prostate cancer care. With a simple blood test, we can screen for prostate cancer. Learn more about prostate cancer screening.