To determine the 2021 list, Great Place to Work® surveyed over half a million employees on issues including how trustworthy, caring, and fair the company is in times of crises; employees’ physical, emotional and financial health; and the company’s broader community impact. Particular attention was paid to how employees’ experiences varied depending on their job role, gender, race/ethnicity, payroll status, and other characteristics to ensure that the company is creating a great workplace for all.
“Congratulations to the 100 Best Companies to Work For. These companies stood out for heroic efforts to care for their employees, their customers, and our society in a difficult year,” said Michael C. Bush, CEO of Great Place to Work.
This year, 60% of each company’s score is based on confidential employee feedback. The remaining 40% is based on the programs each company said they created to support their people and communities in response to the pandemic. This methodology represents a change in response to the unique circumstances of 2020. In pre-pandemic times, 75% of each company’s score is based on confidential employee feedback and 25% is based on our assessment of employees’ daily experiences of the company’s values, people’s ability to contribute new ideas, and their leaders’ effectiveness. Great Place to Work will be returning to this methodology next year.
Nationally ranked & recognized for workplace culture & excellence
Wellstar was also named to the 2021 Fortune Best Workplaces in Health Care & Biopharma™ list, ranking No. 9 in the “large healthcare” category. The health system has also consistently ranked in Great Place to Work® 100 Best Workplaces for Diversity™ – coming in at No. 31 in 2019 – and Best Workplaces for Women, named among the top five companies from across the nation for hiring women.
The company has also garnered national recognition and accolades for performance excellence, diversity and inclusion, quality and safety, and leadership. Some highlights include Working Mother 2020 100 Best Companies; Working Mother 2020 Best Companies for Dads; the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption 2020 100 Best Adoption-Friendly Workplaces; and the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award – the nation’s highest recognition for performance excellence – which was awarded to Wellstar Paulding Hospital in 2020.
Wellstar is committed to developing people-centric programs, benefits, and culture that foster an inclusive, team-based workplace. Attracting, retaining, and growing world-class talent is a priority for the health system, which serves millions of Georgians each year with more than 24,000 dedicated team members. Some of the ways that Wellstar supports team members include:
Four weeks of paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, including for adoption
- Adoption assistance
- Extended illness bank
- Onsite wellness programs, fitness centers, and health coaching
- Free concierge service
- Childcare, elder care, and back-up care options, both on-site and in-home
The company also recently rolled out a new, extensive employee rewards program, called “MyCare Rewards,” representing an $18 million investment in the health and well-being of the more than 24,000 team members across the system throughout the state of Georgia. The program offers the choice of either two days of paid time off or a $500 MyCare Rewards grant. With a focus on the mental and physical well-being of all team members, Wellstar is also providing free access to Headspace, a mobile mindfulness and meditation app to help with stress, anxiety, sleep, focus, fitness and more and free access to Wellstar fitness centers for a year.
Later this year, Wellstar team members will be offered additional benefits including extra, dedicated on-site employee assistance program (EAP) support for a year and access to wellness rooms to use before, during, and after their shifts. Depending on square footage and location, rooms may have massage/zero gravity chairs, aromatherapy, meditation spaces, space for education/wellness sessions, and a library of resources to support mindfulness, stress relief, and overall well-being.