Prenatal Genetic Risk Assessment
Prenatal Assessments at Wellstar
Prenatal genetic testing helps parents who are expecting or who are in the process of family planning to understand whether their baby may be at risk or have certain genetic conditions or disorders. Some of these conditions or disorders may include aneuploidy, trisomy, monosomy as well as sickle cell disease, cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs disease and many others.
The compassionate counselors and medical geneticists at the Wellstar Genetic Risk Assessment Program offers specialized genetic risk assessment for pregnant women or those who are considering starting a family. Information about genetic conditions and disorders may help parents plan for medical care if needed or end the pregnancy in certain situations.
Possible reasons to seek prenatal genetic counseling include:
- Mother being 35 years of age or older at the time of delivery
- Abnormal prenatal genetic screenings
- Abnormal ultrasound findings
- Family history of congenital disabilities or genetic syndromes
- Recurring miscarriage or infertility
- Exposure to medications or environmental hazards
- Member of an at-risk ethnic group
Visit the Wellstar Genetic Risk Assessment Program to learn more about the genetic counseling experience, what to expect at your appointment and whether genetic testing is covered by insurance.