Why WellStar Community Hospice?
WellStar Community Hospice celebrates life well lived. Since 1982 we have served the people of central and North Georgia. We are proud of the reputation we have earned for extraordinary, patient-centered care.
Hospice is a special approach to end-of-life care. We provide compassionate medical, psychological and spiritual support to patients and their families. Our mission is to deliver peace, comfort and dignity to those who are dying, despite their ability to pay. We provide another layer of care and support.
WellStar Community Hospice is an appropriate choice for those who:
- Have a life-limiting illness
- Are no longer seeking aggressive, curative treatment
- Have identified comfort care as a top priority, feeling that seeking quality of life is their priority objective
- Have received a physician’s prognosis of six months or less life expectancy
- Have terminal conditions like cancer, dementia, and heart, lung, liver, kidney and neurological disorders
Patients and families choose us because we:
- Are part of the WellStar Health System, Northwest Georgia's largest not-for-profit healthcare system
- Have a reputation for excellence
- Have a superb medical and support staff
- Offer home services in six counties and inpatient facilities often close to home
Our program is unique for a number of reasons, including a philosophy of care. Our commitment is to:
- Help patients live life to the fullest without the physical and emotional pain of illness
- Ensure the health and personal dignity of every patient entrusted to our care
- Provide comfort not only to patients, but also to family members and those like family
- Deliver care that is patient-centered and patient-directed
Our program is directed by board-certified palliative medicine physicians who are trained in pain and symptom management. Their affiliation with WellStar Health System and their access to the vast medical resources of WellStar lend quality and reliability to the hospice program.
Patients receiving palliative care from these physicians in the hospital can continue to receive care from the same doctors, creating a valuable and ongoing relationship.
At WellStar Community Hospice care is a collaborative effort that addresses the needs of the whole patient. Our physicians lead a team that includes a patient’s own doctors, our specialized nurses and clinical care partners as well as bereavement professionals, chaplains and social workers who provide emotional support to patients and their loved ones. Patients and families partner with the hospice team to determine the appropriate level of care and participate in care planning throughout the admission.
Compassionate and energetic volunteers meet diverse needs– from running errands to helping with meals and providing companionship for hospice patients.
Hospice services include but are not limited to:
- Pain and symptom management
- 24-hour physician and nurse coverage
- Individualized clinical assessment and care planning
- Same-day admission and prompt referral response
- Caregiver education/ instruction and patient advocacy
- Medical equipment, supplies and medications
- Social service support
- Professional counseling for patients and families
- Assistance with identifying social services and other community resources
- Spiritual and bereavement support
- Volunteer assistance
- Short-term and respite care for family/home caregivers
- Specialized veterans’ program