As the weather starts to warm and flowers bloom, spring is in the air – and so is pollen.
If you deal with frustrating symptoms like a stuffy nose, sneezing or watery eyes, you’re not alone. Each year, more than 50 million people in the United States have allergies, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Wellstar knows every Achoo! can impact your daily life, making it difficult to enjoy outside activities with family and friends. Instead of sitting on the sidelines, you can use simple strategies to take control of your seasonal allergies.
Tips to Relieve Seasonal Allergies
Seasonal allergies are your immune system’s response to certain environmental triggers, such as pollen from trees, grass or flowers. Your body’s reaction to these allergens can include coughing, sneezing, runny nose, red or itchy eyes, throat irritation and post-nasal drip.
By playing it smart and planning ahead, you can take steps to relieve your allergy symptoms. Follow the helpful tips below to say goodbye to seasonal allergies:
• Masks make a cool accessory. Wearing a mask can not only keep others safe from COVID-19, but also prevent you from breathing in pollen and other allergens.
• Try over-the-counter medications. Consult your Wellstar provider about common allergy remedies like antihistamines and nasal spray.
• Check the weather report. Avoid outside activities on days that are dry, windy or have a high pollen count of 1,000 or more.
• Don’t invite allergens inside. Keep windows and doors shut to prevent pollen from blowing into your home and contaminating surfaces.
• Stay on top of spring cleaning. Dust and vacuum often to remove potential allergens, such as dust, dander and pollen.
• Don’t forget your four-legged friends. Be sure to wash or brush your pets more often to remove loose fur and dander.
Expert Care for Allergies
When at-home remedies aren’t enough, Wellstar Allergy & Immunology is ready to care for you. If your symptoms are severe, you may need specialized treatment for allergies or be dealing with a chronic condition, such as asthma.
At Wellstar, we diagnose and treat a full range of adult and pediatric allergy conditions. Our allergists will partner with you to create a personalized care plan, which may include allergy shots, prescription medication or other therapies.
Don’t sneeze or sniffle through another season. Wellstar provides the world-class, tailored allergy care you need at convenient locations across metro Atlanta.
Click the “Book Now” button at the top of any page to schedule an appointment.