PGY2 Pain Management and
Palliative Care (PMPC)
About our PGY2 PMPC Residency Program at Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center
Our PurposeThe purpose of postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency programs are to build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in a specialized area of practice. PGY2 residencies provide residents with opportunities to function independently as practitioners by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings. Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
Our MissionOur residency program’s mission is to produce pharmacists who practice with the core values of honoring patient’s voices and advocating for safe and effective evidence-based pharmacotherapy. This program will develop residents into knowledgeable and skilled practitioners in areas with increasing demands for pharmacy interventions. Our program complements the mission of Wellstar’s Palliative Care program: to honor human beings with compassion, adding to each individual’s quality of life as we provide personalized comfort. Graduates of the program will be well prepared to provide high-quality pharmaceutical care for pain, palliative, and hospice patients as a clinical pharmacy specialist in both inpatient and outpatient practice settings as well as serve as adjunct or clinical faculty for a school of pharmacy.
Residency Program AimsOver the course of their experience, our residents will:
- Focus on collaborative practice where interdisciplinary healthcare teams provide safe and effective treatment for patients living with advanced illness and disease related symptoms affecting quality of life
- Utilize an interprofessional approach to enhance the educational experience
- Ensure continuity of care during patient transitions across the continuum of care
- Demonstrate pharmacists’ ability to manage formularies and medication-use processes
- Demonstrate pharmacists’ ability to investigate practice, review data and assimilate scientific evidence to improve patient care
- Provide effective medication education to patients, caregivers, health care professionals, and students
Learn More About Us
Pharmaceutical Services at Wellstar KennestoneOur Pharmacy Department utilizes automated drug delivery throughout the hospital. We have a Central Pharmacy, Operating Room (OR) Satellite, and Outpatient Infusion Centers (OPICs). In addition, pharmacists are decentralized and participate in daily physician-led interdisciplinary rounds. The clinical pharmacy team includes specialists in emergency medicine, critical care, infectious disease, pain management, internal medicine, drug information, and neonatal medicine/women’s health.
About Wellstar Health SystemAt Wellstar Health System, we make a difference every day by improving quality and access to healthcare in communities, big and small. With locations across metro Atlanta and beyond, Wellstar is one of the largest health systems in Georgia. Learn more about us.
About Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical CenterLocated just north of Atlanta, Wellstar Kennestone is a 633-bed facility, including more than 85 critical care beds, and the largest hospital in Wellstar Health System’s network. The Level II Trauma Center features a new, state-of-the-art emergency department, comprehensive stroke center, and certified comprehensive cardiac center. Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center
677 Church Street
Marietta, Georgia 30060
More Information About Us
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive stipend estimated at $52,000
- 403(b) tax-deferred investment program for retirement
- Travel reimbursement and registration for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC)
- Paid Time Off (PTO): accrual of up to 23 days per year for holidays, vacation, and sick days
- Extended Illness Bank (EIB): accrual of up to five days per year
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Onsite library services with online access to most medical journals
- Onsite fitness facility with reduced membership rates for employees
Required Learning Experiences
Required Learning Experiences
- Inpatient acute pain management
- Inpatient palliative care
- Outpatient palliative care and hospice
- Advanced heart failure
- Teaching and precepting
- Practice management and professional development
Elective Learning Experiences
- Emergency medicine
- Critical care
- Medication safety and policy
Residency Special FeaturesWellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center is a 633-bed community teaching hospital with a Level II trauma center. Kennestone is a center of medical education offering post graduate training programs in medicine and nursing, in addition to both PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residencies. Our team of clinical pharmacy pain specialists co-manage the complex pain management needs of our hospitalized patients and perform daily prospective review for high-risk opioid therapies. Our partnership with the Wellstar Palliative Medicine program provides an enhanced learning opportunity through inter-professional educational activities that include inpatient, outpatient, and at-home patient care services. Elective rotations may be available in critical care, emergency medicine and medication safety. Residents can also earn a teaching certificate through classroom experiences at The Philadelphia College of Medicine-School of Pharmacy, Suwanee, GA Campus.
How to Apply
RequirementsApplicants must be participating in, or have completed, an ASHP-accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency program or one in the ASHP accreditation process (i.e., one with candidate or preliminary accreditation status). At the start of the residency program, the resident must be licensed by or eligible for licensure with the Georgia State Board of Pharmacy. If not licensed at the start of residency, the candidate must be licensed within 60 days of beginning the program.
Application InstructionsThe Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center PGY2 PMPC Residency program (NMS code: 657373) participates in the ASHP Resident Matching Program (the Match).
- Register with the ASHP Resident Matching Program at https://natmatch.com/ashprmp/
- Complete all required and supplemental information in the PhORCAS Applicant Portal and upload the following documents at https://portal.phorcas.org/
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Intent
- Copy of college of pharmacy transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (One of the letters should be from a clinical rotation preceptor within the past 12 months.)
- Writing Sample Submission (This must be submitted in PhORCAS as supplemental information.)
Writing Sample ExpectationsThe submission should be no longer than TWO pages.
The submission should be a written description of any research project in progress or completed including your role, your research advisor’s name and title, primary outcomes, number of patients included, and results if available.
- Eligible applicants will be invited for an on-site facility tour and interview.
- Applicants whose primary address is greater than 250 miles from Wellstar Kennestone may request to participate in a virtual interview.
Visa Sponsorship/Graduates of Foreign ProgramsWe welcome applications from non-U.S. citizens who have a “green card” (permanent resident status) or a current visa valid through the entire duration of the residency program. Wellstar Health System PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residency programs are unable to sponsor visas for pharmacy residents.
Contact UsFor more information, please contact:
Jasmine Jones, PharmD, BCGP, Outpatient Palliative Care and Hospice
Danny Basri, PharmD, BCPS, Inpatient Acute Pain Management
Arielle Spurley, PharmD, BCPS, Inpatient Acute Pain Management
April Britt, PharmD, BCPS, Advanced Heart Failure
Jordan Wilkie, PharmD, BCPS, Advanced Heart Failure
Amy Behimer, PharmD, BCPS, Practice Management and Professional Development
The PGY2 Pain Management and Palliative Care Pharmacy Residency conducted by Wellstar Kennestone has an accreditation candidate status with ASHP.