Wellstar Kennestone PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program
The Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center PGY1 residency program offers a 12-month ASHP-accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency program that provides educational and training experiences for pharmacists in contemporary pharmacy practice in an organized healthcare system. The major job responsibilities of this position are clinical intervention, continuing education, drug distribution, leadership, patient education, and research. The program is designed to ensure competency with the required goals and objectives outlined in the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Accreditation Standards.
The Wellstar Kennestone PGY1 residency program will utilize the collective assets of Wellstar Health System (WHS) to accomplish the assigned goals and objectives.
Program PurposeThe purpose of the Wellstar Kennestone PGY1 pharmacy residency program is to build on the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
Learn More About Us
Pharmaceutical Services at Wellstar KennestoneWellstar Kennestone Department of Pharmacy utilizes automated drug delivery units throughout the hospital. Our team operates out of a central pharmacy, Operating Room (OR) satellite, and workstations on patient care units. We also have an Outpatient Infusion Center (OPIC) satellite on our campus. In addition, pharmacists participate in daily physician-led interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary rounds. The clinical pharmacy team includes specialists in ambulatory care, cardiology, critical care, emergency medicine, infectious disease, internal medicine, nutrition support, pain management and pediatrics.
About Wellstar Health SystemAt Wellstar Health System, we make a difference every day by improving quality and access to healthcare in communities, big and small. With locations across metro Atlanta and beyond, Wellstar is one of the largest health systems in Georgia. Learn more about us.
About Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical CenterLocated just north of Atlanta, Wellstar Kennestone is a 633-bed facility (including more than 85 critical care beds) and the largest hospital in Wellstar Health System’s network. The Level II Trauma Center features a new, state-of-the-art emergency department, comprehensive stroke center, and certified comprehensive cardiac center. Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center
677 Church Street NE
Marietta, GA 30060
More Information About Us
- City of Marietta, GA
- Wellstar Kennestone
- Wellstar Health System
- Wellstar Pharmacy Residency Programs
Learning ExperiencesThis program provides extensive educational and training experiences for pharmacists in a fast-paced, acute care environment. Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Function effectively as a member of the healthcare team
- Follow the “best practice” model in the delivery of patient care
- Identify, prevent and resolve medication-related problems for patients
- Educate healthcare providers, patients and students through written and verbal means
- Master skills for future success in either a specialty residency or clinical practice
- Code Response
- Consult Service*
- Critical Care
- Grand Rounds
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Practice Management
- Research Project and MUE
- Ambulatory Care
- Cardiac Critical Care
- Drug Information
- Emergency Medicine
- Medication Safety
- Neurosurgery Critical Care
- Nutrition Support
- Pain Management
How to Apply
Admission RequirementsThe residency program begins mid-June every year. Residency applicants must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and be a licensed pharmacist in the State of Georgia within 90 days of the start of the program. Non-U.S. citizens must have a “green card” (permanent resident status) or a current visa valid through the entire duration of the residency program. WHS PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residency programs are unable to sponsor visas for pharmacy residents.
Application InstructionsWellstar Kennestone participates in the ASHP Residency Match Program (the “Match”).
- Register with the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS) and the ASHP Resident Matching Program.
- The Wellstar Kennestone PGY1 pharmacy residency match code is 133413
- The Wellstar Kennestone PGY1 nontraditional pharmacy residency match code is 133421
- Official college of pharmacy transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – include a list of all completed and anticipated APPE rotations with a brief description and contact information for the primary preceptor
- Personal statement/Letter of intent (LOI)
- The LOI should be 1 page, using a 12-point font and 1-inch margins
- The LOI should answer the following questions:
- Why are you applying to the pharmacy residency program at Wellstar Kennestone?
- What are your career goals after completion of a PGY1 residency? Include major areas of interest.
- Why are you a good candidate/fit for this program? List 1-2 strengths that make you stand out from other applicants.
- Three professional references – utilize the PhORCAS standardized reference form
- Two references should be from clinical APPE preceptors
- Final reference should be from a recent pharmacy employer or advisor OR a third reference from a clinical APPE preceptor
Nontraditional ResidencyWellstar Kennestone offers a nontraditional PGY1 pharmacy residency program for full-time Wellstar employees with at least one year of service. This program is designed to be flexible for pharmacists in the workplace with an intermittent 24-month program. This PGY1 pharmacy residency program offers these benefits for the nontraditional resident:
- Enhances competence in patient-centered care and operational pharmacy services
- Develops leadership skills by refining problem-solving strategies
- Strengthens professional values and attitudes
- Advances clinical judgment
- Assists the resident in becoming more competitive for clinical positions
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive stipend estimated at $49,275. HR status, including salary, remains the same for the nontraditional resident
- 403b tax-deferred investment program for retirement
- Travel reimbursement* and registration for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Southeastern Residency Conference
- Paid Time Off (PTO) – New hires accrue up to 23 days per year (includes holidays, vacation, and sick days)
- ACLS and BLS certifications (PALS certification optional)
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- On-site library services with online access to most medical journals
- On-site fitness facility with reduced membership rates for team members
- Wellstar Kennestone PGY2 Pain Management and Palliative Care
- Wellstar Kennestone PGY2 Emergency Medicine (EM) – Coming in 2023!
- Cobb/Wellstar PGY2 Health-System Pharmacy Administration and Leadership
- Wellstar Health System PGY2 Medication Use Safety & Policy
The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program conducted by Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA is accredited by ASHP.