PGY2 Emergency Medicine
About our PGY2 Emergency Medicine Residency Program at Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center
Program PurposePGY2 residency programs build upon Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY1 pharmacy residency training to develop pharmacist practitioners with knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined in the educational competency areas, goals, and objectives for advanced practice areas. Residents who successfully complete PGY2 residency programs are prepared for advanced patient care or other specialized positions, and board certification in the advanced practice area, if available.
Our MissionOur mission is to create EM trained clinical pharmacists that are not only excited about the idea of increasing EM pharmacist’s reach through starting their own program in an emergency department in need, but also equipped with the skills needed to make that program successful, promote growth, and increase patient safety whenever and wherever a patient enters an emergency room.
Learn More About Us
Pharmaceutical Services at Wellstar KennestoneWellstar Kennestone Department of Pharmacy utilizes automated drug delivery units throughout the hospital. Our team operates out of a central pharmacy, Operating Room (OR) satellite, and workstations on patient care units. We also have an Outpatient Infusion Center (OPIC) satellite on our campus. In addition, pharmacists participate in daily physician-led interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary rounds. The clinical pharmacy team includes specialists in ambulatory care, cardiology, critical care, emergency medicine, infectious disease, internal medicine, nutrition support, pain management and pediatrics.
About Wellstar Health SystemAt Wellstar Health System, we make a difference every day by improving quality and access to healthcare in communities, big and small. With locations across metro Atlanta and beyond, Wellstar is one of the largest health systems in Georgia. Learn more about us.
About Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical CenterLocated just north of Atlanta, Wellstar Kennestone is a 633-bed facility (including more than 85 critical care beds) and the largest hospital in Wellstar Health System’s network. The Level II Trauma Center features a new, state-of-the-art emergency department, comprehensive stroke center, and certified comprehensive cardiac center. Wellstar Kennestone Regional Medical Center
677 Church Street NE
Marietta, GA 30060
More Information About Us
- City of Marietta, GA
- Wellstar Kennestone
- Wellstar Health System
- Wellstar Pharmacy Residency Programs
Salary & Benefits
- The residency program commences in mid-July and provides a competitive stipend estimated at $53,500
- Tax-deferred investment program for retirement (403b)
- Travel reimbursement* plus registration costs to ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Southeastern Residency Conference
- ACLS, BLS and PALS (re)certification as needed
- Dental, Health and Vision Insurance
- On-site library services with online access to medical journals
- Office space/computer access
- Discounted meals
- Complimentary on-site parking
- Wellness programs
- Wellstar Employee Fitness Center - State of the art of fitness facilities including Olympic size swimming pool on campus
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Concierge services
- Wellness rooms
- Childcare center on campus
Required Learning ExperiencesRotational (3-6 weeks duration)
- Emergency Medicine I
- Emergency Medicine II, Community
- Emergency Medicine III
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Emergency Preparedness
- Burn Intensive Care Unit (BICU)
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Antimicrobial Stewardship
- Pharmaceutical Care Service (Staffing)
- Emergency Medicine Thursday Conference
- Practice Management and Professional Development
How to Apply
RequirementsApplicants must be participating in, or have completed, an ASHP-accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency program or one in the ASHP accreditation process (i.e., one with candidate or preliminary accreditation status). At the start of the residency program, the resident must be licensed by or eligible for licensure with the Georgia State Board of Pharmacy. If not licensed at the start of residency, the candidate must be licensed within 60 days of beginning the program.
Application InstructionsThe Wellstar Kennestone PGY2 EM Residency Program (NMS code: 673169) participates in the ASHP Resident Matching Program (The Match).
- Register with the ASHP Resident Matching Program at https://natmatch.com/ashprmp/
- Complete all required and supplemental information in the PhORCAS Applicant Portal and upload the following documents at https://portal.phorcas.org/
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Intent
- Copy of college of pharmacy transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (One of the letters should be from a clinical rotation preceptor within the past 12 months.)
- Writing Sample Submission (This must be submitted in PhORCAS as supplemental information.)
Writing Sample ExpectationsThe submission should be no longer than TWO pages.
The submission should be a written description of any research project in progress or completed including your role, your research advisor’s name and title, primary outcomes, number of patients included, and results if available.
- Eligible applicants will be invited for an on-site facility tour and interview.
- Applicants whose primary address is greater than 250 miles from Wellstar Kennestone may request to participate in a virtual interview.
Visa Sponsorship/Graduates of Foreign ProgramsWe welcome applications from non-U.S. citizens who have a “green card” (permanent resident status) or a current visa valid through the entire duration of the residency program. Wellstar Health System PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residency programs are unable to sponsor visas for pharmacy residents.
The PGY2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Residency conducted by Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA, has an accreditation candidate status with ASHP.