Volunteer at Wellstar West Georgia Medical Center
Your Gift of Time
Volunteers are a vital part of the Wellstar community. Reassuring the apprehensive patient, bringing a warm smile to a worried visitor, sharing hope—as a volunteer you can be of help in these and countless other ways. Hundreds of people have found that volunteering as little as four hours a week enriches their own lives.
Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteers play an integral part of the Wellstar West Georgia Medical Center community—providing valuable services to the medical center and its two nursing homes, Florence Hand Home and Twin Fountains Home. If you’re interested in volunteering, you’ll have a wide variety of opportunities to match your skills and interest, from escorting patients to treatment areas, delivering flowers, providing complimentary coffee, proving comfort to patients in the Emergency Department, deliver and read mail to nursing home residents, assist customers in the gift shop and more.
- Call Room — Escort patients upon admission to treatment areas, deliver flowers and late trays, escort patients and belongings to dismissal area.
- Coffee Cart — Provide complimentary coffee service to patients, visitors and team members.
- Emergency Department – Support the ED staff in providing comfort to patients and their families.
- Enoch Callaway Cancer Center — Serve as a host for patients and family members.
- Florence Hand Home/Twin Fountains Home — Help with various activities provided for the residents, deliver and read mail, visit with residents, staff beauty shop, work in the library.
- Gift Shop — Assist customers, ring up sales (a great portion of auxiliary funds are raised in the gift shop).
- Information Desk — Provide information to visitors regarding patient rooms and directions.
- Intensive Care Waiting Room — Serve as a liaison between families and caregivers; provide information about patient’s condition and location.
- Physical Therapy — Assist staff with patient-related treatments in the Physical Therapy Department.
- Complete the online volunteer application form.
- Have your physician complete and sign your medical release form.
- Applicants born after 1957 must include immunization records.
- Drop the forms off at the Information Desk in the South Tower Lobby; fax them to (706) 812-2878; or email to Susan Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and sign a background check permission form.
- Learn about the requirements and benefits of being a volunteer.
- Interviews are typically held between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Learn hospital policies and procedures.
- Learn about confidentiality and volunteer agreements.
- Purchase uniform at Department of Volunteer Services.
Most volunteer opportunities are available from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. There are limited openings for volunteers for evenings and weekends. Volunteers are asked to commit to at least one four-hour shift each week for six months or 100 hours, whichever comes first.
For more information, call (706) 880-7332.