After nearly two years in the COVID-19 pandemic, wearing a face mask may be second nature to many of us. However, as the highly contagious Omicron variant spreads, it’s important to know single-layer cloth masks offer minimal protection.
Wellstar Health System has recently updated its mask policy when visiting our facilities, and recommends people follow these guidelines to stay safe.
How to choose the right mask
- Cloth doesn’t cut it. Choose a medical-grade mask – not a cloth mask – with two or more layers of fabric.
- Stop the flow. Make sure your mask has a nose wire to prevent air from leaking out.
- Coverage counts. Select a face mask that completely covers your nose and mouth.
- Find the right fit. Ensure your mask is snug on your face with no gaps.
Take action to protect your health
- Stick it to COVID. Now, everyone aged five and older can receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Make sure to get the shot and booster, when eligible.
- Wear a mask. Upgrade your mask to the most recent recommendations. Wear your face covering when out in public to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Wash your hands. Be sure to wash your hands often with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds.
- Watch your distance. Maintain a safe social distance around others, especially when in a public setting.
- Avoid the crowd. Skip large gatherings or groups of people if possible, especially when indoors.
For more safety tips and resources, visit Wellstar’s COVID-19 resource page.