Whether you experience an injury, minor illness or simply need a wellness exam, the most important step you can take is getting the care you need. That way, you can find trained experts for your specific medical needs, stay ahead of potential health issues or even help prevent existing conditions from worsening.
With primary, virtual, urgent and emergency care services available, as well as retail pharmacies, how do you decide which type of care is best for your medical situation? Learn the differences between each type of medical service Wellstar offers in Douglas County—so you don’t delay and get care right away.
In addition to virtual primary and specialty care appointments, we also provide virtual urgent care through WellstarON for minor medical concerns including allergies, sinus infections, strep throat or urinary tract infections.
Your WellstarON provider will offer the same personalized, tailored treatments you expect from us. That may include treatment recommendations and prescriptions to manage an immediate health issue, like an antibiotic or cough medicine.
After your WellstarON visit, all Wellstar providers, including your primary care provider or specialist, can see a record of your appointment. You will also be able to access it through MyChart. Keeping all of your trusted physicians in the know is just one way we provide you with continuity of care.
While virtual care is a convenient way to stay well, it should never be used in place of emergency care. If you are experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency, call 911 right away.
Primary care is ongoing, comprehensive care and preventative medicine that helps you live a full, healthy life.
Your primary care provider gets to know you and your health history on a deeper level. That means they have a more holistic view of your overall wellness.
- Annual wellness exams
- Health screenings, labs and imaging
- Care for chronic conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Immunizations for children and adults
- Treatment for acute illness, such as the flu or colds
- Coordinating care with other specialists
- Physical and mental health concerns, such as weight loss or anxiety
Wellstar has three primary care locations in Douglas County:
If you’re dealing with a minor injury or illness or need care after your physician’s regular office hours, going to urgent care is often the right choice. Wellstar Urgent Care centers provide quick, convenient care for non-emergency medical conditions.
Wellstar Urgent Care provides:
- Care for minor illnesses and injuries, such as coughs, colds, sprains and broken bones
- Treatment for medical issues like bites, burns and cuts
- COVID-19 testing and evaluation for patients 12 and older
- Lab and X-rays
- Sports physicals
- Occupational health services
- Worker’s compensation services
In a life-threatening medical emergency, every second counts. Never put off getting the proper care when lives are on the line. Remember, driving yourself to the emergency department is dangerous and may delay care, so call 911 for the fastest access to emergency care.
When the unexpected happens, Wellstar Douglas Medical Center is always ready in a medical emergency. Our trained team provides expert emergency care 24 hours a day for people of all ages. We also have a dedicated pediatric emergency room, specifically designed to treat children.
Recognize the signs of a medical emergency:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest discomfort or pain
- Severe abdominal pain
- Fainting or loss of consciousness
- Sudden dizziness, weakness or vision changes
- Sudden, severe pain
- Uncontrolled or severe bleeding
- Choking, coughing up blood or severe vomiting
- Suicidal or homicidal thoughts
- Changes in mental status, such as confusion or unusual behavior
- Traumatic injury due to a motor vehicle or other accidents