Hyperbaric oxygen therapy delivers 100% oxygen up to three times the normal air pressure through a lightweight hood for treating wounds and decompression sickness.
Hyperbaric Medicine at Wellstar
Wellstar physicians may suggest outpatient hyperbaric oxygen therapy as part of a comprehensive treatment plan. Concentrated oxygen delivered in hyperbaric chambers helps speed the healing process for patients with chronic wounds.
How it works
A hyperbaric oxygen chamber allows your lungs to absorb more oxygen. Your blood carries the oxygen throughout your body, helping fight bacteria and promoting healing. Treatments last 30 minutes to two hours. The number of sessions depends on your medical condition.
- Non-healing wounds of people at risk of losing a limb or who have had a crush injury.
- Repair tissue damage caused by burns, help heal muscle and skin grafts, and treat severe infections.
- Saving lives of people with air or gas embolisms, decompression sickness (from SCUBA diving), or carbon monoxide poisoning.
What we treat
Common conditions include:
- Brain abscess
- Arterial gas embolism (air bubbles in blood vessels)
- Decompression sickness
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Non-healing wounds, such as diabetic foot ulcer
- Radiation injury
- Deafness, sudden
- Vision loss, sudden
- Skin graft or skin flap
Preventing & Curing Diabetic Ulcers with Wellstar Wound Care
When someone is diabetic, a small wound can escalate into a major health issue and, in many cases, lead to an amputation. However, with proper wound care and accelerated healing with hyperbaric medicine, Wellstar patients are partnering with providers to treat wounds like diabetic foot ulcers.Learn more