Wellstar CobbPGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program
OverviewThe PGY1 Pharmacy Residency program conducted by Wellstar Cobb Medical Center in Austell, GA is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). This 12-month program provides extensive educational and training experiences for pharmacists in a fast-paced, acute care environment. Graduates of the program will be able to:
- Function effectively as a member of the healthcare team
- Follow the “best practice” model in the delivery of patient care
- Identify, prevent, and resolve medication-related problems for patients
- Educate healthcare providers, patients, and students through written and verbal means
- Master skills for future success in either a specialty residency or clinical practice
Program PurposePGY1 residency programs build upon Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop pharmacist practitioners with knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined in the educational competency areas, goals, and objectives. Residents who successfully complete PGY1 residency programs will be skilled in diverse patient care, practice management, leadership, and education, and be prepared to provide patient care, seek board certification in pharmacotherapy (i.e., BCPS), and pursue advanced education and training opportunities including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies.
Learn More About Us
Pharmaceutical Services at Wellstar CobbWellstar Cobb Medical Center Pharmacy Department utilizes automated drug delivery throughout the hospital. We have a Central Pharmacy, Operating Room (OR) Satellite, and Outpatient Infusion Centers (OPICs). In addition, pharmacists are decentralized and participate in daily physician-led interdisciplinary rounds. The clinical pharmacy team includes specialists in emergency medicine, critical care, transitions of care, infectious disease, pain management, internal medicine, drug information, and neonatal medicine/women's health.
About Wellstar CobbLocated north of Atlanta, Wellstar Cobb is a 382-bed tertiary care facility, Advanced Primary Care Stroke Center, and Level III Trauma Center serving South Cobb County’s health needs. Wellstar Cobb offers cancer and cardiac programs, emergency and intensive care services, an inpatient burn program, accredited total joint program, private maternity center, and onsite heart failure clinic. Wellstar Cobb Medical Center
3950 Austell Road
Austell, GA 30106
About Wellstar Health SystemAt Wellstar Health System, we make a difference every day by improving quality and access to healthcare in communities, big and small. With locations across metro Atlanta and beyond, Wellstar is one of the largest health systems in Georgia. Learn more about us.
- Critical Care/Burn
- Drug Information
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Pain Management and Hematology/Oncology
- Pharmaceutical Care
- Pharmacy Consult Services*
- Pharmacy Teaching Program
- Practice Management
- Transitions of Care
- Ambulatory Care
- Medication Safety
- Neonatal Medicine/Women’s Health
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive stipend estimated at $49,275
- 403b tax-deferred investment program for retirement
- Travel reimbursement and registration for the ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and Southeastern Residency Conference
- Paid Time Off (PTO): accrual of up to 23 days per year for holidays, vacation, and sick days
- Extended Illness Bank (EIB): accrual of up to 5 days per year
- ACLS and PALS certifications
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Library services with online access to most medical journals
- Onsite fitness facility with reduced membership rates for team members
How to Apply
Admission RequirementsThe residency program begins mid-June every year. Residency applicants must possess a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and be licensed in the state of Georgia within 90 days of the start of the program.
Application InstructionsWellstar Cobb Medical Center (NMS code 265313) participates in the ASHP Resident Matching Program (the Match).
- Register with the Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service (PhORCAS™) and the ASHP Resident Matching Program for participation in the Match.
- Submit letter of intent, curriculum vitae, pharmacy college transcripts, and three letters of recommendation.
- Complete the online application for the Wellstar Cobb Medical Center PGY1 Pharmacy Resident position at careers.wellstar.org.
- The PhORCAS and Wellstar Cobb resident position applications must be submitted by January 7th of the residency year for participation in Phase I of the Match.
- All completed applications will be screened and qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule a formal interview.
Visa Sponsorship/Graduates of Foreign ProgramsWe welcome applications from non-U.S. citizens who have a “green card” (permanent resident status) or a current visa valid through the entire duration of the residency program. Wellstar Health System PGY1 and PGY2 pharmacy residency programs are unable to sponsor visas for pharmacy residents.
The PGY1 Pharmacy Residency Program conducted by Wellstar Cobb Medical Center in Austell, GA is accredited by ASHP.