This month Dr. Hank Capps, Wellstar Health System’s executive vice president, chief information and digital officer, and founder and president of Catalyst by Wellstar, was honored by GeorgiaCIO with the 2022 CIO of the Year® ORBIE® Award in the healthcare category.
The CIO ORBIE Awards is the premier technology executive recognition program of its kind that recognizes CIOs in Georgia who have shown excellence in technology leadership. Since its inception in 1998, over 500 CIO winners have received the prestigious ORBIE Award. The ORBIE signifies exceptional leadership, innovation, and vision, representing the characteristics and qualities that inspire others to achieve their potential. GeorgiaCIO is led by an advisory board of CIOs from prominent organizations in Georgia who set the direction for events, membership, and annual Awards program.
“Every organization is technology-dependent, but strong leadership is the X-factor that can turn mundane IT into a remarkable strategic differentiator,” said Brandon Van Orden, GeorgiaCIO Chair. “The ORBIE Awards are meaningful because they are judged by peers – CIOs who understand the challenges of technology leadership.”
Within one year of joining Wellstar, Dr. Capps led the creation and launch of Catalyst by Wellstar, a first-of-its-kind global digital health and innovation center designed to disrupt the future of healthcare. Dr. Capps has also led the transformation of the core technology functions of the organization, including reorganizing around customer needs, launching the Wellstar Data and Insights Institute, and accelerating implementations of ERP, Device Integration, core infrastructure modernization, and data governance initiatives with the main goal to make work easier for clinicians and team members.
“PeopleCare is at the forefront of every project let by the Wellstar team. For myself and the dedicated team at Wellstar, the greatest reward is caring for patients each day,” said Dr. Hank Capps.
Dr. Capps and his team of experts are committed to changing the model from sick care to PeopleCare, by harnessing new technologies and always-connected networks to make care more personalized and focused on well-being through prevention. Some specifics include:
- Relaunched the flagship wellstar.org site, growing monthly sessions 96% in one year, while reducing bounce rates from 70% to 16.5%
- Led access initiatives that drastically increased physician discoverability and digital booking across Wellstar’s online appointment tools, driving more than 16,000 bookings in 12 months
- Guided the launch of a new, consumer-facing mobile app
- Led creation of immersive audio in Team Member Wellness Rooms, where 95% of users felt positively impacted and reported improved mental state
- Achieved the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society’s (HIMSS) Stage 7 Ranking for Digital Transformation
- Received Epic Gold Star 9 (top 10 percentile in the nation)
- Earned Level 9 ranking and Digital Health Most Wired recognition from the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- Advisory Board Member, leading investment in Engage Venture Platform, May 2021 – present
This recognition is a testament to the nearly 1,000 digital, technology, data, and innovation team members who help deliver on Wellstar’s mission of improving the health and well-being of every person served.