Expert care for allergies
At Wellstar, we treat a full range of adult and pediatric allergy conditions. Our specialists will partner with you to create a personalized care plan based on your needs.
When you are seeking care, it’s important to know that allergists and ENTs both treat the symptoms associated with allergies — but in different ways. Depending on your health needs, you may even require treatment from both specialists.
“Our ENT team works closely with allergists to create the best possible treatment plan for patients,” shared Dr. Nnenna Ezeilo, Wellstar Ear Nose & Throat specialist.
“Allergists focus on non-surgical methods to relieve allergies, such as allergy shots or medication. However, when those remedies aren’t enough or a structural issue of the nose is present, ENTs can provide a surgical solution to help improve symptoms,” Dr. Ezeilo said.
Dr. Zheng explained how surgery can provide relief for people with chronic allergies.
“ENTs offer a variety of surgical options to improve the passage of the nose,” Dr. Zheng shared. “While this does not treat underlying allergies or change the patient’s response to allergens, it can help create more room in the nose and help make symptoms less bothersome.”
Nasal and sinus procedures help with drainage and can open the nasal passages to relieve certain symptoms. However, no matter the time of year, any type of nasal issue needs attention.
“Keep in mind, allergies are not the only cause of nasal congestion. If you are struggling with ongoing issues that impact your ability to breathe or smell normally, it’s important to get seen by an ENT specialist,” Dr. Ezeilo said.
Find a Wellstar ENT near you.
Tips to fight seasonal allergies
As you work with your Wellstar team to form an allergy care plan, taking simple steps can also go a long way to help alleviate symptoms.
- Get tested. Allergy testing can help identify environmental elements and foods that may affect you, so you can be prepared and limit your exposure. Ask your provider if allergy testing is right for you.
- Learn how to avoid an attack. If you have asthma or allergies, it’s important to know your triggers and avoid them as much as possible. Be sure to team up with a specialist to help manage your condition as well.
- Ask about medications. Consult your Wellstar provider to learn whether allergy remedies, such as antihistamines and nasal spray, may work for you. Your physician may suggest prescription or other medical remedies to treat your symptoms.
- Check the weather report. Avoid outside activities on days that are dry, windy or have a high pollen count.
- Shut allergens out. During spring, it may be tempting to open your windows and doors. However, that can only invite pollen and other allergens inside your home.
- Stay on top of spring cleaning. Dust and vacuum often to remove potential allergens, such as dust, dander and pollen.
- Don’t forget your four-legged friends. Be sure to wash or brush your pets more often to remove loose fur and dander.
Along with getting care for allergies, keeping your whole body healthy should be top on your list this spring. Learn more about how well starts with spring screenings.