Complete your child’s health homework
Set your child up for success this year by checking in on their well-being, and starting healthy habits before they go back to school.
- Book medical appointments. Before the school year begins and schedules get hectic, book your child’s annual physical exam with their pediatrician, and other routine medical care such as dental and eye appointments.
- Set routines. Structure your day so that it’s easier to transition to the school by creating set times to wake up, eat meals and go to bed.
- Share medical and other important instructions. Let the school know if your child has any health concerns or unique needs like allergies or medications.
- Practice and prepare good hygiene habits. Discuss habits that will help your child and others stay healthy, such as frequent handwashing and coughing or sneezing into their elbow.
- Encourage questions and conversations. Ask questions and have frequent conversations with your child to ensure they feel comfortable heading into the new school year.
- Limit screen time. Be sure to limit your child’s screen time an hour before their bedtime, so they can wake up well-rested and feeling their best.
Ways to be top of the class
After you’ve set your child up for a safe, healthy school year, take time to complete these other tasks before they head back to the classroom.
- Finish summer assignments. Be sure your child completes any assignments, such as their summer reading list.
- Complete school registration. Whether your child is returning to or starting a new school, find out what steps and paperwork are required to complete registration.
- Get the right school supplies. Don’t delay in getting your child’s school supplies and be mindful of other items they may need, including school uniforms.
- Talk about safety. Review important safety measures with your child, including memorizing important phone numbers and their home address.
- Role play the day. Before your child’s first day of school, talk through the day with them and plan details in advance, including their schedule and after-school care.
Start back-to-school planning now so that your child — and your entire family — are ready to enter the school year feeling excited about returning to the classroom.
Find a Wellstar pediatrician close to you and book your child’s wellness exam today.