Inpatient Rehabilitation at Wellstar North Fulton Hospital
At Wellstar, we are committed to helping each and every person live the healthiest, most active lifestyle possible. Whether you are recovering after surgery or healing from an injury, the focused care and attention of inpatient rehabilitation may help you heal faster.
Using an interdisciplinary approach, our experienced team will work one-on-one with you, your family or caregivers to create a personalized rehabilitation plan. We focus on rebuilding confidence while restoring strength and mobility to the highest level of independence possible before discharge home.
Because Wellstar North Fulton Hospital is a designated Level II Trauma Center and now offers the highest level of stroke care, we are experienced in treating complex diagnoses, such as stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury, amputation and major multiple trauma rehabilitation.
You can count on Wellstar to be with on your road to recovery.
Your Care Team
At Wellstar North Fulton Hospital Inpatient Rehabilitation, we always put people first. Our multidisciplinary team partners with patients to achieve the highest level of rehabilitation possible.
As part of your recovery plan, our specialists hold weekly meetings for each patient, discussing rehabilitation progress, medical conditions, future goals and needs after hospital discharge.
Our expert care team includes:
- Physiatrists/Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physicians
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Registered Dietitians
- Physical Therapists (PT)
- Respiratory Therapists (RT)
- Occupational Therapists (OT)
- Case Managers
- Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Conditions We Treat
Wellstar North Fulton Hospital cares for a wide range of routine and complex conditions.
Common diagnoses we treat, include:
- Stroke (CVA)
- Major Multiple Trauma
- Neurological Disorders
- Neuromuscular Disease
- Brain Tumor
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Injury
- Work-Related Injury
- Hip Fracture
*Other diagnoses may be considered for admission and will be reviewed on an individual basis.
3 Steps to Inpatient Rehabilitation
Step 1: Referral
Every admission begins with a pre-admission assessment. Together, our team will explain inpatient rehabilitation at Wellstar North Fulton Hospital and create your personalized treatment plan. This includes goals for recovery, therapy and treatment options.
Step 2: Admission
Admission determinations are made by our healthcare team at Wellstar North Fulton Hospital, led by the Medical Director of Rehabilitation. Criteria for admission is determined by Medicare and other healthcare organizations, which may instead recommend home health or outpatient care. Many insurance companies require prior authorization for an inpatient rehabilitation stay, that may take up to 72 hours to obtain.
For consideration for inpatient care, the referred patient must meet the following criteria at the time of admission:
- Require active and ongoing intervention of multiple therapy disciplines—including physical therapy (PT), occupational therapy (OT) or speech-language pathology (SLP)—at least one of which must be PT or OT.
- Require an intensive rehabilitation therapy program, generally consisting of three hours per day, five days per week.
- Reasonably be expected to actively participate in, and benefit significantly from, the intensive rehabilitation program.
- Require physician supervision by a rehabilitation physician, with face-to-face visits at least three days a week. Visits will be used to assess the patient both medically and functionally, and modify the course of treatment as needed.
- Require an intensive and coordinated interdisciplinary approach to receiving rehabilitative care.
Step 3: Discharge
The discharge planning process begins the day you are admitted and involves the patient, family members and rehabilitation team. We address individual progress and discharge needs throughout interdisciplinary team meetings, family education sessions and family conferences. Your case manager and therapists will assist you in determining and obtaining the necessary equipment, follow up services and resources upon discharge.
What to Bring
For your comfort during recovery, we encourage you to bring a few personal items, including:
- Comb or brush
- Shaving supplies
- Shampoo and other hair care products
- Prescription medications in their original containers
- An assortment of comfortable, loose-fitting clothes and comfortable shoes (labeled with your name)
- Pictures of family and activities
Please do not bring:
- Valuable jewelry or large amounts of cash
- Expensive electronic devices
- Heaters, heating pads, hair dryers, or equipment for food preparation and storage
- Firearms or other weapons
Please label all of your belongings with your name. Wellstar North Fulton Hospital cannot accept responsibility for lost items.