WellStar Health System is a not-for-profit system recognized as a national leader in comprehensive care. Staying ahead of the curve in technology has enabled WellStar to be leaders in both the diagnosis and treatment of an extensive array of health conditions. Serving a population of more than one million residents of NW metropolitan Atlanta, WellStar consistently looks at total patient wellness and works to ensure that all systems support that focus. With industry awards ranging from Integrated Delivery Networks to Working Mother Magazine’s Best Places to Work, WellStar strives to provide the best care possible with Atlanta’s top medical professionals.
Specialists and primary care providers work in a multi-disciplinary environment with more than 12,000 diverse team members throughout our five hospitals and physician offices. By working through a patient-centered model of care, WellStar places enormous value on quality and safety with many accolades to support our work.
WellStar’s senior leadership, Board of Trustees, Authority, Regional and Foundation Boards evaluate our community’s emerging needs to equip our facilities with the best new technology. We know that healthy patients come from healthy neighborhoods, and finding ways to deliver better care in metro Atlanta is a big part of who we are.
Each year, more than 600,000 of our neighbors receive world-class service at a WellStar facility. Whether you need to find a physician online or through our 956-STAR Call Center, we can connect you with the South’s best doctors – right around the corner. And, to uphold our founding intentions of giving back to our community, the WellStar Foundation continues each year to fund initiatives ranging from new buildings to genetic testing services.
To deliver world-class healthcare.
To create and deliver high quality hospital, physician and other healthcare related services that improve the health and well-being of the individuals and communities we serve.
- Five hospitals
- 7 urgent care centers
- 16 satellite diagnostic imaging centers
- One adult congregate living facility
- One skilled nursing facility
- Two inpatient hospices
- More than 500 primary care providers, specialists and advanced practitioners known collectively as the WellStar Medical Group
- More than 100 WellStar Medical Group practice locations
- More than 12,000 employees
- More than 1,300 Medical Staff members
- Formed in 1993 from longstanding community-based hospitals
- WellStar serves more than 1.4 million area residents
- WellStar delivers more than 9,000 babies each year
- WellStar physicians perform more inpatient surgeries than any other health system in Georgia
- WellStar offers the only life-saving Level II trauma care in Cobb County
- WellStar serves more emergency room patients than any other health system in Georgia
- WellStar connects with more than 200,000 community members at WellStar health fairs, car seat safety checks and other community events each year
- WellStar employs more than 12,500 people
- WellStar annually provides more than $200 million in unreimbursed care to the community
- As a not-for-profit healthcare system, WellStar reinvests 100% of every surplus revenue dollar into new programs and enhanced services for the benefit of our communities
- WellStar is recognized as the fifth-most integrated healthcare delivery system in the United States
- Launched in 1994, the WellStar Medical Group is now one of the largest non-academic medical groups in the Southeast
- Since 2008, WellStar has been a Working Mother Magazine Top 100 Best Company. WellStar was a Working Mother Top 10 company in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
What We Give Back
- A Level II Trauma Center designation at Kennestone Hospital to significantly boost care availability for trauma patients in our service area.
- Free genetic counseling and testing for 42 patients in FY 2010 with the help of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
- Free transportation for radiation and chemotherapy patients lacking a means of travel with the help of Lockheed Martin’s AERO Club.
- A world-class, $12 million hospice facility designed from the ground-up to enhance patient care and comfort.
- More than 600 screening mammograms, 160 diagnostic mammograms, 175 ultrasounds, 20 breast MRIs and seven interventional breast diagnostic procedures through the Talking Shop program.
- A renovated and improved Cobb County community clinic at WellStar Kennestone Hospital.
Community Health Needs Assessments (CHNA)
To assess the current health and well-being of the communities served, WellStar Health System conducted a Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) for each of our hospitals, a collaborative effort of WellStar, public health agencies, Cobb2020 and a diverse coalition of stakeholders representing the communities served by WellStar.
The aim: Improve the health of the vulnerable populations in WellStar service areas through access to care and healthy lifestyles.
The results of the evidence-based CHNA process detailed in these written reports to address the prioritized health needs of the community submitted for fiscal year ended June 30, 2013, are publicly available in compliance with the Internal Revenue Service and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) tax law requirements section 501(r). (The law requires hospital facilities owned and operated by an organization described in Code section 501(c)(3) to conduct a CHNA once every three years.)
Reports are available for the following hospital facilities: