Lung damage caused by COPD cannot be reversed, but there are steps you can take to prevent it from occurring or worsening. These include:
- Stop smoking if you smoke cigarettes, cigars or a pipe.
- Avoid secondhand smoke, pollution, dust and other airborne contaminants.
- Live a healthy lifestyle.
- Get seasonal flu and pneumonia vaccines.
- Researchers at Cornell University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital report that women 45 years old and older who take vitamin E can cut their risk of developing COPD by about 10 percent.*
* Per News Max Health, June 10, 2010 http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/health_stories/vitamin_E_prevent_COPD/2010/06/04/316904.html