Pediatric Sore Throat Diagnosis
Your WellStar physician may perform screening evaluations looking for evidence of serious infection tied to the sore throat.
Diagnostic tests may include:
- Rapid strep test (results in 15 minutes)
- If rapid strep test is negative, your WellStar pediatrician may take a throat culture (results in 48 hours) to confirm the rapid test's negative diagnosis.
- Possibly a blood test to determine if mononucleosis is present
- Performing rapid strep test
- Taking throat culture
- Taking blood test
- Feeling swollen glands
- Viewing swollen throat and tonsils
- Viewing reddened throat and tonsils
- Viewing white patches on the throat