Erectile Dysfunction Prevention
The most important prevention method for erectile dysfunction is to manage existing health problems and to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Help Reduce Your Risk of Erectile Dysfunction
You can lower your chances of erectile dysfunction through several methods:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol or abuse drugs or medication
- Reduce stress
- Exercise as recommended by your WellStar physician
- Control certain physical conditions, including heart problems and diabetes
Tests and Screenings for Erectile Dysfunction
Your WellStar physician will conduct a physical examination and look over your personal and family medical history. In many situations, this might be enough for a treatment recommendation. Further tests might be needed and may include:
- Blood tests to check for signs of heart disease, diabetes, low testosterone levels or other health issues
- Urine tests or urinalysis to look for diabetes or other health conditions
- Ultrasound to check blood flow to your penis
- Overnight tests to examine erections you may have in your sleep. This test involves wrapping special tape around your penis at bedtime. If the tape is separated through the night, your penis was erect at some point. This test often shows that a psychological issue, not a physical one is the cause of erectile dysfunction.
- Review chronic medications and consider if any changes can be made