Internal Medicine Overview
Internal medicine is concerned with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases in adults. Physicians specializing in internal medicine are called internists. They manage adults' general health care, providing diagnosis, referral, disease prevention, health promotion, and coordinating treatment of multi-system diseases.
Although internists may act as primary-care physicians, they are not family or general practitioners because their training is concentrated on adults. Most adult specialists are required to complete training in internal medicine prior to selecting a subspecialty.
Internal medicine at WellStar has a long history. Our affiliated Internal Medicine Associates of Marietta is one of the oldest medical practices in Cobb County. It began more than 60 years ago.
Internal Medicine Includes:
- Primary care and diagnosis for patients with undefined symptoms or complaints, like shortness of breath or back pain
- Coordination of care among various practitioners at WellStar
- Preventive screening, like mammograms and blood pressure tests
- Collaborative long-term care of patients with chronic illnesses, such as heart diseases and emphysema
- Comprehensive management of care for hospitalized patients