You’ll be referred after your treatment of a brain tumor to WellStar’s medical oncology team for rehabilitation, surveillance and survivorship programs. These comprehensive programs focus on therapy to recover from any brain damage caused by the tumor or its treatment, and diet, exercise and nutrition to help you reduce the risk of recurrence.
Brain Tumor Rehabilitation
Since brain tumors can develop in the parts of the brain that provide motor skills, speech, vision, and thinking, rehabilitation may be a critical part of recovery. Some people never regain all of the abilities they had before the tumor and its treatment, but your WellStar team will help you return to normal activities as soon as possible.
Several types of therapists can help:
- Physical therapists help regain motor skills lost to nrain tumors and their treatment.
- Speech theraists help recover the physical ability to speak, the cognitive ability to express thoughts, and coordinated swallowing.
- Occupational therapists help people re-learn how to manage daily activities, like eating, using the toilet, bathing, and dressing.
- Tutors help children adjust to changes in their memory and thinking caused by a brain tumor and its treatment.
- Physical medicine specialists are doctors with special training to help people with brain tumors stay active, recover lost abilities, and return to normal life.
Cancer care at WellStar is more than advanced technology, clinical research, and highly specialized physicians and nurses. It includes an array of supportive care services to improve the patient experience before, during and after treatment. All of these services are available within the WellStar system, including:
- Counseling services for individuals, couples and families.
- Nutrition services, which allow cancer patients to stay strong through treatment and eat healthier foods that lower cancer risk.
- Physical therapy centers, which allow many rehab options.
- Smoking cessation programs, which offer support to patients who need to come off cigarettes and nicotine. Special services are offered to those who have made prior attempts.
- Retail stores that offer wigs, mastectomy bras and other cancer support products.
- Genetic counseling services, which offer patients and family members who are at high risk to be tested for genetic abnormalities after meeting with a certified genetic counselor.
- Healthplace, which offers programs for cancer patients to regain strength and fight fatigue after chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Palliative Care and Hospice
WellStar’s certified palliative care physicians and certified registered nurses are dedicated to providing compassionate, quality care in various settings, including home hospice, inpatient hospice nursing homes, assisted living facilities and nursing homes. WellStar offers caring and compassionate hospice care for patients and their families in one of Georgia’s oldest hospice programs serving Bartow, Cherokee, Cobb, Douglas and Paulding counties.