Make a difference in your community while having fun and exploring the healthcare environment at WellStar Kennestone Hospital. Our summer program is designed to provide students interested in healthcare careers access to the operations of a world-class medical center. Volunteering is a fun activity, with lots of hospital exposure. However, it's also a serious commitment. VolunTEENS provide hundreds of hours of valuable service to our patients, families and team members, and your department will depend on you for your assigned shift. Kennestone offers volunteer opportunities in a variety of settings, including, but not limited to, customer service, clinical and non-clinical areas, patient transport and wayfinding. Please note that the teen program is competitive. We offer 50 spots to the most qualified and enthusiastic teens. The selection process requires a 15-minute interview, which will occur in April. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive a formal email with the date, time and location of this interview.
MAY 31 - JULY 29, 2016
Requirements for Program >>
- Be age 15 by May 1, 2016, and a rising sophomore, junior or senior in high school
- Have an interest in healthcare
- Complete the VolunTEEN Application and all other required documents by deadline of February 26, 2016.
- Have your physician complete and sign your Medical Release Form (.PDF)>.
- The following docments must be received by deadline date to be considered for program acceptance:
Fax to: 770-793-7128
Mail to: WellStar Kennestone Hospital
Attn: Volunteer Services
677 Church Street
Marietta, Georgia 30060
- A copy of a photo I.D. (i.e. Driver’s license/Student I.D.)
- Medical Release Form (completed and signed by a physician)
- Immunization Records (MMR, DPT, & Varicella/chicken pox)
- VolunTEEN School Records Release and Counselor Request Form- completed by a school counselor
- Be able to complete one 4-hour shift per week for 8 weeks of the 9-week program (Morning and afternoon shifts are available Monday- Friday) Weekends and evenings are not available options at this point. You will be permitted one absence in the 9-week program. Service hour certificates will only be released if the minimum 32 hours has been completed.
- Attend one of the two offered orientation classes
Tuesday, May 3rd from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Monday, May 9th from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- A parent/legal guardian is required to attend orientation with each student
- Required tuberculosis (TB) testing will be available during the orientation session
- Review of requirements and benefits of being a VolunTEEN
- An overview of hospital policies and procedures will be given
- Answer written questions related to information reviewed during orientation
- Complete and sign various forms related to needed parental permission
- Complete two tuberculosis (TB) tests prior to your start date, which are provided free of charge.
- Wear designated VolunTEEN uniform
Benefits of Volunteering >>
- Certificate of program completion necessary for college and/or scholarships
- Career Day, where you will meet and interact with a variety of healthcare professionals
- Behind-the-scenes Pharmacy Tour
- A look inside an Operating Room
- Complimentary lunch in the cafeteria for each shift worked
- Complimentary parking in the employee deck
- Build a resume of service for college
- Learn new skills through exposure to a world-class hospital environment
- Meet new people while helping others
- Contribute to your community
Due to the limited number of teen positions available, not all applicants will be accepted into the program. The selection criteria includes, but is not limited to: receipt of completed application and required documents, ability to make required time commitment, previous volunteer/community service experience, GPA, student leadership positions, communication skills, ability to take initiative and a future career interest in healthcare.
Please consider carefully whether volunteering will fit your schedule or other life commitments. You must have the willingness and ability to support your volunteer assignment. The department in which you volunteer depends on you. By submitting your completed application, you are agreeing to the program requirements.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a 2016 Summer VolunTEEN. We look forward to reviewing your application.